Worksite Wellness Program Focused on Injury Prevention, Wellness and Recovery
The Workplace Wellness Program is aimed to help point and guide businesses in their Workplace Health and Safety goals. Our program is extensive and detailed and customized to meet the needs of your company. Too often companies correct problems after a major incident has occurred. Our goal is to provide a resource that is preventative and proactive. The program is composed of mandatory and optional contents. A mandatory work site discovery visit will be arranged once the decision to proceed with exploration of employer needs is confirmed. A number of optional program components can then be considered ranging from preventative proactive programs to rehabilitation recovery programs. All optional programs are intended to reduce injuries associated with work, provide the opportunity for a healthier employee lifestyle and respond timely and efficiently to employees requiring injury management. Ultimately our goal is to:
- Reduce injuries related to the work site and minimize time lost from work.
- Reduce costs associated with worker time lost from work.
- Improve worker productivity.
- Provide cost effective service programs.
Optional Services Available
1. Worksite Ergonomics
By definition, ergonomics is the study of designing equipment and devices that fit the human body and its movements. Ergonomics assesses the interactions between worker and worksite and work task in order to design an optimal situation to mitigate risk of repetitive strain and injury.
We will take the time to review incident reports and near misses, speak to employees, assess and evaluate workstations and report back to management, detailing recommendations with attributed costs.
2. Injury Rehabilitation
The key to shortening the time from injury to work return is to have a structured recovery plan constructed by a team of integrated health professionals.
Our team of physiotherapists, occupational therapists and kinesiologists work together to construct and implement your employee recovery plan. This team specializes in individual rehabilitative exercise based on current best practices, experience, and the latest scientific research. Whether your employee is recovering from surgery, or on track to returning to work, private rehabilitation sessions will get them back to top form and to work sooner by utilizing:
- An extensive rehabilitation program including physiotherapy, occupational therapy and massage therapy services when recommended with a minimal wait period for service.
- A graduated return to work program.
- A balanced approach between work productivity and employee health and readiness will be provided
3. Modified Work Hardening and Reconditioning Program
Programs based on helping employees achieve a level of fitness that employers deem a requirement for many work-related duties. Research has shown that most work related injuries occur in the first 6 months of employment or work return. In our program, we assess the needs of a specific job and tailor a progressive resistance plan to best prepare and accustom a client’s body to a new work duty, thus decreasing the chance of a work related musculoskeletal injury.
- 4, 6 and 8 week daily reconditioning programs are readily available.
- Individualized suited to the needs of the patient and work demands.
- Program to target specific endurance and muscle weakness patterns.
- Employees to complete a detailed physiotherapy assessment.
- Program to be facilitated by a kinesiologist with one to one patient care.
- Program content to be advanced safely and timely to provide a controlled challenge and stress to the patient for best results.
- Emphasis on building stamina and tolerance to specific work tasks.
- Goal oriented.
4. Pre-Employment Screening
Pre-employment testing is an adopted hiring practice to ensure potential candidates are suited and have the physical capabilities to comply with the physical demands of work.
We will perform a site visit and identify specific work tasks that are physically challenging. Testing procedures will then be created to objectively test the worker performing the physically challenging work activities. A detailed report will be provided to the employer. Once the pre-employment testing procedures have been identified we will be available to conduct the testing when job hiring demands dictate. Testing and screening can provide the following benefits to the employer:
- Minimizing poor hiring decisions by selectively identifying those potential employees not capable of safely performing the demands of the work.
- Reducing medical costs and insurance premiums associated with injured workers.
- Reducing the frequency of injury.
- Establishing a baseline of functional abilities in the event of injury and return to work decisions.
5. Stretching and Strengthening Program
Individualized and specific stretching and strengthening programs will be developed tailored to the needs of the employer and workers.
Exercise prescription will be specific for each work station / job site. Included in the program will be picture handouts detailing each exercise. Electronic exercise files will be created and emailed when possible to a supervisor for dissemination to each worker. The electronic version will include a video and a detailed description of each exercise to ensure proper technique is followed. Further program contents will focus on injury prevention, postural re-education and tissue adaptation (strengthening). All employees will be educated and a demonstration will be provided on proper exercise techniques.
6. Back Injury Prevention
In today’s day and age, information is everywhere, however, finding it from a credible source is not. Back injuries plague many of us in our daily lives, and we often wait until we are in severe pain before we do something about it. This seminar discusses the basics of what can cause various types of back pain and how to prevent it.
7. Body Mechanics / Lifting Techniques
Proper and safe body mechanics and lifting techniques is an integral component to a safe work place. Static sitting or standing postures are not immune to postural strain and stress associated with improper positioning. Dynamic postures such as lifting, pulling, pushing, twisting and working overhead provides a different set of circumstances that challenges our musculoskeletal system. By adopting safe and proven strategies, injuries and repetitive strain associated with poor body mechanics both in static and dynamic postures can be minimized. A general outline with demonstrations on proper lifting mechanics will be provided.
- Basic anatomy and proper postural information pertinent to the work activity or work station to be provided.
- Proper body mechanics specific to the job or work site will be provided.
- Written guidelines and resource material will be included.
Businesses always investigate cost savings measures. Cost savings may be realized by investing in our Workplace Wellness, Injury Prevention and Recovery Programs by:
- Improving worker well-being, safety and comfort
- Improving worker performance, productivity and quality
- Reducing injuries and potential for accidents • Reducing costs associated with injury as well as work errors • Meeting HR trends pertaining to an aging workforce, slower growing labor pool, rising employee expectations and absenteeism • Lowering operating costs • Increasing sales and profitability • Reducing employee turnover and costs associated with re-hiring and training • Meeting regulations (Section 8 Workplace Safety and Health Act). We can facilitate the need at a time when a workplace has identified an ergonomic risk and must act accordingly to reduce or eliminate the risk.